Wednesday, December 9, 2009

unique los angeles art and design sale

Last weekend, Jesse and I went to Unique LA, a large art and design sale held in downtown Los Angeles in the Fashion District. We spent most of the day checking out all of the products, and I thought I would highlight a few of our favorites here. Several of the design blogs I follow have been posting holiday gift guides, so this is sort of my own personal version. :) Most of these pieces are for sale online, and I have included links. All photos are from the vendor websites.

The Weekend Store was one of the busiest booths at the fair. They sell jewelry made with old typewriter keys, watch parts, maps, and other vintage objects.

This is just one example of dozens of posters created by The Poster List.
All sort of pop-art style, there are so many great designs to choose from, and at a good price - $10.99 for one or five for $40.


Jesse and I loved these California-style digitally manipulated photos printed on wood by 33 Stewart Avenue. The artist, Sean Finocchio, also has a great series of New York food carts.


This peppermint lavender citrus goats' milk soap by Chivas smells SO good. It's made by a mother-daughter duo with fresh milk from goats that they raise on their farm. I can't wait to use it!


These Kauzbots are so eye-catching, and well-made on top of it. Each color of robot represents a specific cause, to which 10% of each sale ($24.99) is given.

I am the proud owner of this necklace, by metal artist Sasha Bell. She also has a lot of other more complex pieces, but at $30, this is a great piece of affordable, wearable art (my favorite kind!).

Felted pebbles by Delica. Not entirely sure how I would use them, but they're just so soft and charming. They also have great felted necklaces and bowls.

This letterpress clock by Dee & Lala is so finely printed, and a unique use of the craft. They also sell lovely cards.

One of the other great products that I didn't actually get to see (Jesse saw them while I was taking a book-making workshop) are flipbooks by Flip Clips that you can have made from short digital video footage. How fun!

2 comments:

  1. so cool! I love the ring and necklace the most...and then the photo image transfer to wood! and all the rest too:) is Unique LA a regular happening? or is it once a year? if regular, we must go with you the next time we're down there...nik

    ReplyDelete
  2. It happens twice a year - once for the holidays and once in May (I think). Glad you liked my picks. :)

    ReplyDelete