Saturday, January 22, 2011

natural history museum

Last Thursday, I went to the Natural History Museum of LA for a one-day workshop on grant-writing for archives. The workshop was great, as was the opportunity to meet other librarians and archivists from the area. After the workshop was finished, I stepped into the museum for a few minutes before it closed. It was extremely quiet, being a weekday and so late in the afternoon. I'd love to go back another day when I have more time to explore, but having opportunities like these is one of the things I like best about living in LA.

Dinos in the entrance - pretty impressive sight when you step in for the first time. (This space felt familiar - it must be a set on a movie. Probably a few movies actually.)

It struck me as a little odd to be surrounded by so many dead animals. Why do we think this is okay? How do people explain this to children? Maybe it was just the fact that the place was totally empty that made this feel a little creepier than in my other museum experiences.

Skeletons! Yay! (??)

The ceiling in the rotunda - beautiful architectural details.

Afterwards, I drove across the city to meet Jesse at a car dealer's. I don't know why I thought I could do that unscathed. The traffic was awful, and made me cranky. But still - the entire drive was very pretty: skyline, palm tree silhouettes against the sunset, Spanish-style architecture, mountains. Love it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment